Resources for Support Coordinators and Case Managers
Included below are some tools that DBHDS developed for Support Coordinators and Case Managers as they support people in the Settlement Agreement population access their own rental housing in the community.
If you are a assisting an eligible individual and need technical assistance, please feel free to contact the DBHDS Housing Specialist in your area.
Independent Housing Webinars
The Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) has released two webinars targeted to Support Coordinators that are assisting adults in the Settlement Agreement population to access their own rental housing in the community.
To access the webinars you must use the Commonwealth of Virginia Learning Center (COVLC/VLC) site. For instructions to access the Commonwealth of Virginia Learning Center, please click the following link: COVLC Access Instructions
Webinar 1 - highlights the process of completing a Housing Readiness Assessment and a Housing Action Plan that will help the Support Coordinator:
- assess an individual’s readiness for independent housing;
- determine eligibility for various housing resources; and
- develop an action plan to guide the transition process.
Once you are logged into the COVLC, to access the Housing Readiness Assessment and Housing Action Plan Webinar you must select the course keyword is "Housing" and then select "DBHDS – Housing Readiness Assessment and Housing Action Plan".
Webinar 2 – walks support coordinators through the process of completing a DBHDS Housing Resource Referral and the process to secure Flexible Funding that may assist an eligible individual with upfront expenses required to transition to or sustain their tenancy in rental housing. More specifically, this webinar provides a high level overview of:
- how to access the most up to date Housing Resource Referral Form;
- step-by-step guidance on how to complete the Housing Resource Referral Form;
- purpose of Flexible Funding; and
- how to access Flexible Funding.
Once you are logged into the COVLC, to access the Housing Resource Referral and Flexible Funding Webinar you must select the course keyword "Housing" and then select "DBHDS – Housing Resource Referral and Flexible Funding".
DBHDS Housing Assessment and Planning Tools
Educating Individuals About Integrated, Independent Housing Options
Housing Assessment and Person Centered Planning
- Want Your Own Place to Live Handbook (Please note: Fair Market Rents listed in this handbook are for Northern VA only)
- Supports and Housing Needs Assessment
- Household Spending Plan
- Moving Expenses Budget
- Housing Needs Profile
- Plan to Maintain Stable Housing
Guardianship, Leases and Housing Search
- Housing Quality Standards Checklist
- Move-in Inspection Checklist
- Important Phone Numbers Template
- Suggested and Prohibited Lease Terms
- Questions to Ask Potential Housemates
- Roommate Search Websites
- Roommate Chore Chart
- Sample Roommate Agreement
Tenant Training Resources
State Rental Assistance Program (SRAP) Training
Please click here to access the SRAP Training for PHA's. The password for the training is SRAP in all caps.