NGRI Guidelines and Reference Manual for CSBs/BHAs
Guidelines for the Management of Individuals Found Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity (NGRI) - 2003:
Individuals who have been found not guilty by reason of insanity (insanity acquittees, acquittees, NGRIs) by Virginia criminal courts pose a unique challenge to Virginia's mental health service system. These individuals require attention for clinical and legal needs as a result of their connection to both the mental health and criminal justice systems. This manual outlines the basic expectations regarding the management of individuals found not guilty by reason of insanity. This information should assist administrators, clinicians, court personnel, treatment team members in state operated mental health facilities, and staff of community services boards in evaluating, treating, and managing individuals found not guilty by reason of insanity in a manner that is consistent with legal mandates and professional standards.
This set of guidelines is based on Virginia Code Sections 19.2-167 through 19.2-182 which describe proceedings on the question of insanity, Virginia Code Sections 19.2-182.2 through 19.2-182.16 which describe the legal process for Virginia's disposition of individuals found not guilty by reason of insanity, and Virginia Code Section 19.2-174.1 which describes the information required prior to admission to a mental health facility. Click on The Code of Virginia link to access a searchable database of The Code of Virginia.
- Table of Contents
- Chapter 1: The Insanity Defense in Virginia
- Chapter 2: Temporary Custody for Evaluation
- Chapter 3: Commitment to Commissioner for Inpatient Hospitalization
- Chapter 4: The Privileging Process for Insanity Acquittees
- Chapter 5: Planning for Conditional Release
- Chapter 6: Conditional Release and Release Without Conditions
- Chapter 7: Misdemeanant NGRIs
- Appendix A: Analysis of Aggressive Behavior
- Appendix B: Community Outpatient Treatment Readiness Scale
- Appendix C: Working with the Virginia Courts
- Appendix D: Evaluations for The Court - Commissioner Appointed
- Appendix E: Reports to the Court
- Appendix F: Treatment Approaches for Insanity Acquittees
- Appendix G: Conditional Release Plan
- Appendix H: State Board Policy: Provision for Forensic Services
- Appendix I: Facility Forensic Coordinators and Office of Forensic Services Staff
- Appendix J: CSB Determination and State Facilities
Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity: Reference Manual for Community Services Boards & Behavioral Health Authorities - 2016:
In 2016, the Office of Forensic Services began to offer training targeting CSB and BHA staff who work with NGRI acquittees in the hospital and community. The following reference manual was designed to accompany that training.