Southwestern Virginia Mental Health Institute received its first two patients on May 17, 1887. Today, SWVMHI is a 179-bed state psychiatric institute operated by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS). The Institute serves adult and geriatric individuals.
The Henderson Building, now housing Administrative offices, is the oldest building still in use in the Department of Behavioral Health and is listed as a National Historic Building. Interested in our history? Check out the photo gallery and take a look!