- Select a Section for More Information
- Required Training
- Recommended Training
- Resources for Training
- Peer Mentoring
DSP and Supervisor Orientation Training and CompetenciesCertain providers of DD Waiver services are required to meet training and competency requirements established by DBHDS and as required in DD Waiver regulations. See the information below for details.
Training and Guidance
- DSP and DSP Supervisor DD Waiver Orientation and Competencies Protocol 2020
- DSP Orientation Manual 2016
- DSP Orientation Training Slides 2016
- DSP Orientation and Competencies Training Video Recording FY21
- DSP Orientation and Competencies Training Video Slides FY21 [PPTX]
- DSP Orientation and Competencies Training Video FAQ FY21 [DOCX]
- Optional access to materials online
Updates Effective 11/15/2021 – DSP Orientation Supplemental Materials
- DSP Supplemental Training Choking Risk Slides [PPTX]
- DSP Supplemental Training Choking Risk Slides [PDF]
- DSP Supplemental Training Choking Risk Narrative [DOCX]
- DSP Supplemental Training Change in Mental Status Slides [PPTX]
- DSP Supplemental Training Change in Mental Status Slides [PDF]
- DSP Supplemental Training Change in Mental Status Narrative [DOCX]
- DSP and Supervisor Orientation Test Effective on 11/15/21
Accessing the DSP Orientation Supervisory Training
Supervisors can access the required supervisor training and take the test through the Virginia Learning Center (VLC). Access the VLC online by following this guide: DBHDS External Entities Domain Guide. The supervisor training can be located in the VLC by searching with the key word “DSP”. Once a supervisor has completed online training and testing through the VLC, they may request a copy of the DSP test answer key by sending a copy of their VLC certificate to their assigned Provider TeamCommunity Resource Consultant with DBHDS.
- These forms are also available online at: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title12/agency30/chapter122/section9998/
Required for DBHDS licensed providers – Direct Support Professionals authorized to administer medication
Each provider responsible for medication administration shall provide in-service training to employees who will be responsible for administering medications. The training must be completed with a certificate of completion on file prior to an employee administering medications. Training curriculums are approved by the Board of Nursing. For more information about the DBHDS-specific training listed below visit: https://www.townhall.virginia.gov/L/ViewGDoc.cfm?gdid=5592.
Relevant trainings for DBHDS DD providers include:
- Administration of Glucagon and Insulin Training Course for certain DBHDS facilities and programs
- Medication Administration Training Course for certain DSS and DBHDS facilities and programs
- Medication Administration Curriculum for DBHDS
- Administration of Medications via a Gastrostomy Tube
In efforts to locate someone who can offer these trainings, you can contact providers here:
General Community Guide Required Training
Required for General Community Guide and Housing Community Guide
The Learning Community’s Person-Centered Thinking Training in person centered thinking consists of 2 days of exercises where the participants acquire core skills in person centered thinking such as: The importance of being listened to and the effects of having limited positive control; Learning to “listen” to people who don’t communicate in traditional ways; The role of daily rituals and routines; Discovering what is important to people; Sorting what is important for people from what is important to them; Respectfully addressing significant issues of health or safety while supporting individual choice and control; Developing goals that help people get more of what is important to them while addressing issues of health and safety Community Connections This interactive training will provide information and skill development activities. Helping people develop their interests, the audience will experience several techniques and tools for determining where a person might start to be connected, and how to plan for the support needed for success.
Housing Community Guide
Required for Housing Community Guide
DBHDS Independent Housing Curriculum Modules 1-3 This Webinar Series will provide an overall framework for Support Coordinators to help individuals with DD access and obtain integrated, independent housing of their choice while ensuring necessary services and supports are in place. The Webinar Series covers the following topics: Housing Readiness Assessments and Housing Action Plans (Webinar #1), Referral, Referral Process and Flexible Funding (Webinar #2), and Reasonable Accommodations, Modifications and Live-In Aides (Webinar #3).