Coronavirus (COVID-19) Response • Have you downloaded COVIDWISE, Virginia's COVID-19 exposure notification app? Add your phone to the fight here. For up-to-date information, assistance, and resources from across state government, click here.
STATE BOARD OF BEHAVIORAL HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENTAL SERVICES
The State Board of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services is a policy making body comprised of nine citizens from across the Commonwealth. At least one third of the members must be consumers or family members of consumers, with at least one being a direct consumer of services. The Board has the statutory authority for the establishment of policy for the Department, State Facilities and CSBs. Members are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the General Assembly.
State BHDS Board
P. O. Box 1797,
Richmond VA 23218-1797
Office: (804) 786-3921
Powers, Duties, & Bylaws
According to the Code of Virginia, the State Board is a ‘policy’ board as defined in § 2.2-2100. As outlined in § 37.1-203, the Board shall have the following powers and duties:
- To develop and establish programmatic and fiscal policies governing the operation of state hospitals and community services boards (CSBs).
- To ensure the development of long-range programs and plans for behavioral health and developmental services provide by the Commonwealth and by CSBs.
- To review and comment on all budgets and requests for appropriations for the Department prior to their submission to the Governor and on all applications for federal funds.
- To monitor the activities of the Department and its effectiveness in implementing the policies of the Board.
- To advise the Governor, Commissioner and the General Assembly on matters relating to Behavioral health, mental retardation and substance abuse.
- To make, adopt and promulgate such rules and regulations as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this title and other laws of the Commonwealth administered by the Commissioner or the Department.
- To ensure the development of programs to educate citizens and elicit public support for the activities of the Department and the CSBs.
- To ensure that the Department assumes the responsibility for providing the education and training to school-age residents in its institutions pursuant to Virginia statute.
- To ensure that the Department assumes the responsibility for providing for education and training of school-age consumers in state facilities, pursuant to § 37.2-312; and
- To change the names of state facilities.
State Board of BHDS Bylaws (December 11, 2019)
For information in regulations voted on
by the Board, please visit the Virginia Regulatory Town Hall
The Board is required to meet at least quarterly. A period for public comment is included on every agenda. Please note that each meeting’s Board Packet will now be posted just before each meeting date.
April 10, 2019, Fairfax (Minutes)
April 10-11, 2018, Virginia Beach (Minutes)
July 10-11, 2018, Richmond (Minutes)
October 3, 2018, Catawba Hospital, Catawba (Minutes)
December 4-5, 2018, Richmond (Meeting Packet)
December 4-5, 2017, Richmond (Minutes)
October 4-5, 2017, Williamsburg (Minutes)
July 11-12, 2017, Richmond (Minutes)
April 4-5, 2017, Winchester (Minutes)
November 30-December 1, 2016 (Minutes)
October 7, 2016 (Minutes)
July 12-13, 2016 (Minutes)
December 8, 2015 (Minutes)
December 7, 2015 (Minutes)
October 9, 2015 (Minutes)
July 16, 2015 (Minutes)
July 15, 2015, Retreat (Minutes)
April 22, 2015 (Minutes)
For information on previous meetings, please contact Heidi Dix.
Term Expires: 6/30/22 (1st Term)
Term Expires: 6/30/23 (2nd Term)
Term Expires: 6/30/24 (2nd Term)
Term Expires: 6/30/24 (2nd Term)
Term Expires: 6/30/2023 (1st Term)
Term Expires: 6/30/2024 (1st Term)
Term Expires: 6/30/21 (1st Term)
Term Expires: 6/30/24 (1st Term)
Term Expires: 6/30/2021 (1st Term)