- Select a Section for More Information
- Required Training
- Recommended Training
- Resources for Training
DSP and Supervisor Orientation Training and Competencies
Certain providers of DD Waiver services are required to meet training and competency requirements established by DBHDS and as required in DD Waiver regulations. See the information below for details.
Training and Guidance
- DSP and DSP Supervisor DD Waiver Orientation and Competencies Protocol 2020
- DSP Orientation Manual 2016
- DSP Orientation Training Slides 2016
- DSP Orientation and Competencies Training Video Recording FY21
- DSP Orientation and Competencies Training Video Slides FY21 [PPTX]
- DSP Orientation and Competencies Training Video FAQ FY21 [DOCX]
- Optional access to materials online
Updates Effective 11/15/2021 – DSP Orientation Supplemental Materials
- DSP Supplemental Training Choking Risk Slides [PPTX]
- DSP Supplemental Training Choking Risk Slides [PDF]
- DSP Supplemental Training Choking Risk Narrative [DOCX]
- DSP Supplemental Training Change in Mental Status Slides [PPTX]
- DSP Supplemental Training Change in Mental Status Slides [PDF]
- DSP Supplemental Training Change in Mental Status Narrative [DOCX]
- DSP and Supervisor Orientation Test Effective on 11/15/21
Accessing the DSP Orientation Supervisory Training
Supervisors can access the required supervisor training and take the test through the Virginia Learning Center (VLC). The Commonwealth of Virginia Learning Center (COVLC) is not monitored 24/7. Helpdesk assistance is provided Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., with the exception of State Holiday/Department closures. Note: The self-service registration function is no longer accessible. Please follow the steps, if needing a new account, in the New Users Only section below:
New Users Only: To request an account, please email the email@example.com. You will need to submit an email, entering “Requesting a COVLC Account” in the subject line. Before approving or denying your request the following information will need to be supplied:
- The name of the organization you are affiliated with (CSB, Licensed Private Provider, etc.)
- Your Manager’s Name (if a contractor or providing counseling services, who would you report to)
- Is the organization licensed or are you in the process of being licensed by one of the following: DBHDS Office of Licensing, the Virginia Department of Health (VDH), the Department of Social Services, or DMAS?
- If your organization is not licensed, please provide the reason for requesting an account.
- What is your reason for requesting an account in the DBHDS-E – External Entities Domain? (Example: training to qualify for Medicaid billing, support coordination training, DSP Supervisor Training, etc.).
Once your responses have been reviewed, an account may be created for you, or you’ll receive a follow-up/denial email.
Change in Organization: If you have an existing account but have switched organizations and can’t access your account, please submit an email to the DBHDS COVLC Helpdesk email address above. You’ll need to enter “Update Email Address” in the subject line. Please provide your full name (first and last) and previous email address. A user may have only one account in the VLC and therefore a new account will be denied.
Current Users: If you’ve forgotten your Login ID and/or password. You may request your Login ID or a temporary password, by clicking login ID and/or password in the “Forgot your login ID or password?” link on the COVLC log in page (https://covlc.virginia.gov/Default.aspx). Please request your Login ID first, via the link. The VLC will send a system-generated email. The email may deliver to your Spam/Junk folder. Please be sure to update your organizational information, in your account profile, accordingly. It’s imperative that you include your Company name, as it helps identify which organization you’re taking training for.
The supervisor training can be located in the VLC by searching with the key word “DSP”. Once a supervisor has completed online training and testing through the VLC, they may request a copy of the DSP test answer key by sending a copy of their VLC certificate to their assigned Provider Team Community Resource Consultant with DBHDS.
DSP Orientation and Competencies Forms
- These forms are also available online at: https://law.lis.virginia.gov/admincode/title12/agency30/chapter122/section9998/
Required for DBHDS licensed providers – Direct Support Professionals authorized to administer medication
Each provider responsible for medication administration shall provide in-service training to employees who will be responsible for administering medications. The training must be completed with a certificate of completion on file prior to an employee administering medications. Training curriculums are approved by the Board of Nursing. For more information about the DBHDS-specific training listed below visit: https://www.townhall.virginia.gov/L/ViewGDoc.cfm?gdid=5592.
Relevant trainings for DBHDS DD providers include:
- Administration of Glucagon and Insulin Training Course for certain DBHDS facilities and programs
- Medication Administration Training Course for certain DSS and DBHDS facilities and programs
- Medication Administration Curriculum for DBHDS
- Administration of Medications via a Gastrostomy Tube
In efforts to locate someone who can offer these trainings, you can contact providers here:
General Community Guide Required Training
Community Connections – Person Centered Practices – Virginia Commonwealth University (vcu.edu)
Required for General Community Guide and Housing Community Guide
The Learning Community’s Person-Centered Thinking Training in person centered thinking consists of 2 days of exercises where the participants acquire core skills in person centered thinking such as: The importance of being listened to and the effects of having limited positive control; Learning to “listen” to people who don’t communicate in traditional ways; The role of daily rituals and routines; Discovering what is important to people; Sorting what is important for people from what is important to them; Respectfully addressing significant issues of health or safety while supporting individual choice and control; Developing goals that help people get more of what is important to them while addressing issues of health and safety Community Connections This interactive training will provide information and skill development activities. Helping people develop their interests, the audience will experience several techniques and tools for determining where a person might start to be connected, and how to plan for the support needed for success.
Housing Community Guide
Required for Housing Community Guide
DBHDS Independent Housing Curriculum Modules 1-3 This Webinar Series will provide an overall framework for Support Coordinators to help individuals with DD access and obtain integrated, independent housing of their choice while ensuring necessary services and supports are in place. The Webinar Series covers the following topics: Housing Readiness Assessments and Housing Action Plans (Webinar #1), Referral, Referral Process and Flexible Funding (Webinar #2), and Reasonable Accommodations, Modifications and Live-In Aides (Webinar #3).