How to File a Claim for Compensation

To apply for compensation, please read all information below, then complete and mail the application form and required documents to:

ATTENTION: Virginia Eugenical Sterilization Act Compensation Program
Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services
P.O. Box 1797, Rm. 411
Richmond, Virginia 23218-1797

As noted on the application, persons claiming eligibility for compensation who were sterilized under the 1924 Virginia Eugenical Sterilization Act or their lawfully authorized representative must complete this application form and attach the relevant documentation as specified on the form.

  • “Lawfully authorized representative” means (i) a person who is permitted by law or regulation to act on behalf of an individual or (ii) a personal representative of an estate, as defined in § 64.2-100 of the Code of Virginia, of an individual who died on or after February 1, 2015 (12VAC35-240-10).
  • Attach a copy of documentation to prove the legal authority to act on behalf of the Claimant.

For individuals not designated as the “legally authorized representative,” but who may be assisting a claimant with the application process, an authorization form to discuss the status of an application and any information thereon must be provided.

For questions or assistance, please contact Ruth Anne Walker.