- Select a Section for More Information
- Resources for Individuals
- Resources for Licensed Providers
- Resources for State Operated Facilities
- LHRC & SHRC
- Data & Statistics
- Contact Information
Policy Review Process
Prior to receiving a visit from a Human Rights Advocate, your Complaint Resolution Policy must be approved. Additionally, the Human Rights Compliance Verification Checklist (HRCVC) must be completed and submitted. Please submit the required documentation via email to OHRPolicy@dbhds.virginia.gov. Within 30 working days of receipt of the required information, you will be notified of the status of your complaint resolution policy. If approved, you will receive the OHR Welcome Letter, the current statewide provider training schedule, and a copy of the HRCVC. If not approved, guidance for compliance will be provided to assist you in becoming compliant.
For HCBS providers, once it is determined that the Complaint Resolution Policy is compliant with the Human Rights Regulations (HRR), a waiver specific letter will be provided to you. This letter will include the additional information needed for site compliance.
Existing Provider Information
Please submit the Human Rights Compliance Verification Checklist (HRCVC) for Existing Providers to OHRPolicy@dbhds.virginia.gov and notify the Human Rights Advocate when the service modification request has been submitted to the Office of Licensing. If you will be providing services in a different region, the Advocate will connect you with the appropriate Regional Advocate in the new region. You will be advised about the LHRC’s in your new region and other relevant or pertinent information.
Training Opportunities & Resources
All OHR Statewide training sessions (Reporting in CHRIS; Restrictions, BTPs, & Restraints; Human Rights Regulations; Investigating Abuse & Neglect) may be accessed on the DBHDS YouTube Channel by clicking the following link: Office of Human Rights YouTube Playlist
- 2022 OHR Statewide Training Series Schedule
- OHR Training Series Frequently Asked Questions
- 2022 New Provider Training Schedule
Statewide Training Slide Decks
Investigating Abuse & Neglect Supplemental Materials
Memorandums, Technical Assistance, & Other Important Information
- Human Rights Regulations (HRR)
- Regional Contact Map
- Provider Memo re: Use of Isolation, Quarantine and Seclusion dated January 25, 2022
- Annual Seclusion and Restraint Reporting Memo 12/20/2021
- Guidance on COVID-19 Vaccine for Providers
- OHR COVID-19 Update Memo 3.14.20 (1 document)
- 2017 Peer-to-Peer Reporting
- Rights Posters
- LHRC Review Request Forms
The State Human Rights Committee considers requests for variances to The Regulations to Assure the Rights of Individuals Receiving Services from Providers Licensed, Funded, or Operated by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services at its meetings. Please contact your Regional Advocate for assistance with this process.