- Select a Section for More Information
- Resources for Individuals
- Resources for Licensed Providers
- Resources for State Operated Facilities
- Training Resources for Providers
- LHRC & SHRC
- Data & Statistics
- Contact Information
Policy Review Process
Prior to receiving a visit from a Human Rights Advocate, your Complaint Resolution Policy must be approved. Additionally, the Human Rights Compliance Verification Checklist (HRCVC) must be completed and submitted. Please submit the required documentation via email to OHRPolicy@dbhds.virginia.gov. Within 30 working days of receipt of the required information, you will be notified of the status of your complaint resolution policy. If approved, you will receive the OHR Welcome Letter, the current statewide provider training schedule, and a copy of the HRCVC. If not approved, guidance for compliance will be provided to assist you in becoming compliant.
For HCBS providers, once it is determined that the Complaint Resolution Policy is compliant with the Human Rights Regulations (HRR), a waiver specific letter will be provided to you. This letter will include the additional information needed for site compliance.
Existing Provider Information
Please submit the Human Rights Compliance Verification Checklist (HRCVC) for Existing Providers to OHRPolicy@dbhds.virginia.gov and notify the Human Rights Advocate when the service modification request has been submitted to the Office of Licensing. If you will be providing services in a different region, the Advocate will connect you with the appropriate Regional Advocate in the new region. You will be advised about the LHRC’s in your new region and other relevant or pertinent information.
Memorandums, Technical Assistance, & Other Important Information
- Human Rights Regulations (HRR)
- Provider Memo re: Use of Isolation, Quarantine and Seclusion_1.25.22
- Annual Seclusion and Restraint Reporting Memo_12.20.22
- Guidance on COVID-19 Vaccine for Providers_2.10.21
- OHR COVID-19 Update Memo 3.14.20
LHRC Review Forms
- Behavioral Treatment Plan (BTP) with Restraint or Time-Out_9.27.22
- Consent and Authorization_9.27.22
- Formal Variance Application_10.3.22
- Human Research Notification_9.27.22
- Next Friend_9.27.22
- Restrictions to Dignity and/or Freedoms_9.27.22
The State Human Rights Committee considers requests for variances to The Regulations to Assure the Rights of Individuals Receiving Services from Providers Licensed, Funded, or Operated by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services at its meetings. Please contact your Regional Advocate for assistance with this process.