Office of Licensing
Pursuant to §37.2-405, DBHDS licenses public and private providers of community services throughout Virginia. DBHDS licenses services that provide treatment, training, support and habilitation to individuals who have mental illness, developmental disabilities or substance abuse disorders, to individuals receiving services under the Medicaid DD Waiver, or to individuals receiving services in residential facilities for individuals with brain injuries.
- Licensing Applications: Children's Residential Services or All Other Services–Except Children's Residential Services
- Licensed Provider Search
DBHDS has posted the current Rules and Regulations for Licensing Providers by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services with the DOJ compliance emergency regulation language included. These regulations became effective 9/1/2018. This document can be found HERE.
Please note the Notice of Intent for Regulatory Action (NOIRA) for permanent adoption of the regulation was filed and the 30-day public comment period associated with the NOIRA closed on 9/5/2018. Those comments will inform any edits made for the proposed permanent draft. There will be additional opportunities for public comment prior to the regulation becoming permanent. Charts explaining the regulatory processes can be found here. (See Emergency and Standard charts).
The Office of Licensing has additional emergency regulations in effect which are not included in the above document. All emergency regulations in effect can be found HERE. Please sign up to become a public user on the Virginia Regulatory Town Hall to keep informed of all DBHDS regulatory changes and announcements. Jae Benz, MSW
- Policies and Procedures Tracking (March 2019)
- Notice to Providers of Changes to Regulations or Guidance Documents (June 2017)
- DBHDS Licensing Incident Reporting Resource Guide (June 2017)
- CHRIS Changes - Case Management Report (June 2017)
- House Bill 1775/Chapter 458 - Replace ID with DD (June 2017)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- QMHP Emergency Regulation Summary posted (September 2018)
- Mortality Review Committee Required Documents
- Enhanced Licensing Visit Protocol
- DBHDS Citation Dispute Resolution Process
- CHRIS Training
- DBHDS Criminal Background Check for DBHDS-licensed providers of ADULT care positions
- DSS Office of Background Investigations for DBHDS-licensed CHILDREN'S RESIDENTIAL FACILITIES
Central Office Contact Information
Richmond, VA 23218
Office (804) 786-1747
Fax (804) 692-0066
Renewal application - Please use this form to renew an existing license to provide children's residential services. Please mail your completed Renewal Application form with your organization check or money order in the amount of $100.00 made out to "Treasurer of Virginia".
Attention: Office of Licensing
P.O. Box 1797
Richmond, VA 23218-1797
Service Modification of License
Service Modification Application - Please use this form when you are already licensed to provide children's residential services and want to want to modify the license or add a service or location. Please submit the completed form 45 days prior to implementation of the modification.
- Children's Residential Facilities Rules and Regulations
- Rules and Regulations for Licensing Providers by the DBHDS
with the DOJ compliance emergency regulation language included (September 2018)
- Human Rights Regulations (2017)
- Instructions to Receive Notice of Regulatory and Guidance Document Changes
Guidance For Licensed Services
- Amendments to Criminal Background Checks
- ASAM Level of Care Crosswalk with DBHDS Licensing Numbers
- Case Management Crisis Plans
- Ceiling Height Guidance (June 2017)
- Certificate of Use and Occupancy Guidance (June 2017)
- Change Of Ownership Process
- Children Residential Safety Matrix Process (October 2015)
- Fall Risk Assessments
- Guidance for Selected Licensing Regulations (February 2015)
- Information about changes in Children's Residential Services
- Intensive Care Coordination Licensing Not Required
- Licensing Intensive In-Home Services
- Nutrition Assessments
- OTP/MAT License Technical Assistance (March 2017)
- Psychiatric Bed Registry Requirements (September 2016)
- QMHP/QMRP/QPPMH Definitions
- Therapeutic Day Treatment (TDT) and Agreements with Schools
- Waiver Redesign License Guidance (June 2016)
Guidance For Medication Administration Training
- New Provider Medication: Glucagon and Epinephrine (November2014)
- Provider Medication Administration Training
- BON Approval for Diastat Staff Training
- Diastat Administration Training Curriculum
- Medication Administration via Percutaneous Gastrostomy Tube (G-Tube) AND Administration of Insulin, Glucagon, and Epinephrine
- Curriculum: 6-hour Training: Medication Administration via Percutaneous Gastrostomy Tube (G-Tube)
- Glucagon and Epinephrine Administration
File A Complaint (Click here to open and complete form.)
Instructions to send and attach Complaint Form as a Word document:
- (1) Click on "File".
- (2) Click on "Save & Send".
- (3) Click on "Send Using E-mail".
- (4) Click on "Send as Attachment".
- This will pull up the Complaint form as an attachment in your email. You may then type in or copy/paste "OLcomplaints@dbhds.virginia.gov".