Office of Licensing
* Please send ALL applications with attachments, service modifications and renewals to
“Office of Licensing”: P.O. Box 1797 Richmond, VA 23218. *
Pursuant to §37.2-405, DBHDS licenses public and private providers of community services throughout Virginia. DBHDS licenses services that provide treatment, training, support and rehabilitation to individuals who have mental illness, developmental disabilities or substance abuse disorders, to individuals receiving services under the Medicaid DD Waiver, or to individuals receiving services in residential facilities for individuals with brain injuries.
- Licensing Applications: Children's Residential Services or All Other Services–Except Children's Residential Services
- Licensed Provider Search
A public comment period was posted on Town Hall and sent to the Virginia Registrar’s Office for publication on September 30, 2019. Please review the INITIAL draft here, register as a user on Town Hall (http://townhall.virginia.gov/L/Register.cfm), and provide comment (http://townhall.virginia.gov/L/Forums.cfm) on this initial draft. Comments will also be received via email, fax, or hard copy mail to: Emily Bowles, Legal and Regulatory Manager, DBHDS Office of Licensing, Post Office Box 1797, Richmond, Virginia 23218-1797, firstname.lastname@example.org, fax: (804) 692-0066; TDD: (804) 371-8977.
Each state agency must ensure that its regulations are reviewed at least once every four years through a ‘periodic review.’ Agencies must then decide if the regulation will be amended, retained as is, or repealed. After conducting the most recent periodic review of the Licensing Regulations, the agency filed a decision to amend the regulations.
Since then, the Office of Licensing developed draft revisions to both the structure and the content of the Licensing Regulations. In regard to structure, currently language addressing all disabilities is contained in Chapter 105. This all-in-one structure is actually very rare across Virginia agencies or in other states. As is most typical, a ‘general chapter’ was developed to apply to three disability-specific chapters (developmental, behavioral health, and substance abuse). Further, it was deemed necessary to develop the general chapter first.
Response to Periodic Review versus Behavioral Health Redesign
It is important to distinguish this drafting effort of the response to periodic review of the Licensing Regulations from other current discussions regarding only behavioral health redesign.
- Response to Periodic Review: Draft changes for the response to periodic review will be in a separate action and are not expected to take effect until at least 2021 following the standard process, which takes an average of 18 months to two years to complete.
- Behavioral Health Redesign: The current effective Licensing Regulations will be the vehicle for any required department regulatory changes that come from the behavioral health redesign. Such changes would likely be emergency regulations as authorized by the General Assembly.
DBHDS has posted the current Rules and Regulations for Licensing Providers by the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services with the DOJ compliance emergency regulation language included. These regulations became effective 9/1/2018. This document can be found HERE.
Please note the Notice of Intent for Regulatory Action (NOIRA) for permanent adoption of the regulation was filed and the 30-day public comment period associated with the NOIRA closed on 9/5/2018. Those comments will inform any edits made for the proposed permanent draft. There will be additional opportunities for public comment prior to the regulation becoming permanent.
Charts explaining the regulatory processes can be found here. (See Emergency and Standard charts).
The Office of Licensing has additional emergency regulations in effect which are not included in the above document. All emergency regulations in effect can be found
HERE. Please sign up to become a public user on the Virginia Regulatory Town Hall to keep informed of all DBHDS regulatory changes and announcements. Jae Benz, MSW
- Memo-CHRIS Updates (October 2019)
- Memo – Affected licensed provider (September 2019)
- Memo – Staff Changes (August 2019)
- Memo – Affected licensed provider petitions for rule making (August 2019)
- Office of Licensing Announce New Licensing System CONNECT (August 2019)
- PUBLIC NOTICE: Request for Comment on Two Draft Guidance Documents ( July 2019)
- Licensing Updates ( July 2019)
- Restructuring within the Office of Licensing ( July 2019)
- Necessity for Service Modification Submission ( July 2019)
- SAVE-The-Date: Computerized Human Rights Information System (CHRIS) Modification Training ( July 2019)
- Policies and Procedures Tracking (September 2019)
- Notification of Upcoming Changes to CHRIS System (May 2019)
- Notice to Providers of Changes to Regulations or Guidance Documents (June 2017)
- DBHDS Licensing Incident Reporting Resource Guide (June 2017)
- CHRIS Changes - Case Management Report (June 2017)
- House Bill 1775/Chapter 458 - Replace ID with DD (June 2017)
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- QMHP Emergency Regulation Summary posted (September 2018)
- Mortality Review Committee Document Submission Memorandum (July 2019)
- Mortality Review Committee Required Documents (July 2019)
- Enhanced Licensing Visit Protocol
- DBHDS Citation Dispute Resolution Process
- CHRIS Training
- DBHDS Criminal Background Check for DBHDS-licensed providers of ADULT care positions.
- DSS Office of Background Investigations for DBHDS-licensed CHILDREN'S RESIDENTIAL FACILITIES.
Central Office Contact Information
P.O. Box 1797
Richmond, VA 23218
Office (804) 786-1747
Fax (804) 692-0066
Renewal application – Please use this form to renew an existing license. Your completed Renewal Application should be mailed to the address below. For providers of children’s residential services, please also include your money order in the amount of $100.00 made out “Treasurer of Virginia” with your Renewal Application.
Attention: Office of Licensing
P.O. Box 1797
Richmond, VA 23218-1797
Service Modification of License
Service Modification Application - Please use this form when you are already licensed to provide children's residential services and want to want to modify the license or add a service or location. Please submit the completed form 45 days prior to implementation of the modification.
- Children's Residential Facilities Rules and Regulations
- Rules and Regulations for Licensing Providers by the DBHDS
with the DOJ compliance emergency regulation language included (September 2018)
- Human Rights Regulations (2017)
- Instructions to Receive Notice of Regulatory and Guidance Document Changes
- DMAS_DBHDS Comprehensive Needs Assessment Comparison (November 2018)
- ASAM Level of Care Crosswalk with DBHDS Licensing Numbers
- Office of Licensing Emergency Regulation Changes Training: Risk Management & Quality Improvement (October 2018)
- Office of Licensing Emergency Regulation Changes Training: Serious Incident Reporting (October 2018)
- Office of Licensing Emergency Regulation Changes Training:Overview - Part I (October 2018)
- Office of Licensing Emergency Regulation Changes Training: Root Cause Analysis - The Basics (June 2019)
Guidance For Licensed Services
- Amendments to Criminal Background Checks
- ASAM Level of Care Crosswalk with DBHDS Licensing Numbers
- Case Management Crisis Plans
- Ceiling Height Guidance (June 2017)
- Certificate of Use and Occupancy Guidance (June 2017)
- Change Of Ownership Process
- Children Residential Safety Matrix Process (October 2015)
- Fall Risk Assessments
- Guidance For Quality Improvement Program (November 2018)
- Guidance For Serious Incident Reporting (November 2018)
- Guidance for Selected Licensing Regulations (February 2015)
- Information about changes in Children's Residential Services
- Intensive Care Coordination Licensing Not Required
- Licensing Intensive In-Home Services
- Nutrition Assessments
- OTP/MAT License Technical Assistance (March 2017)
- Psychiatric Bed Registry Requirements (September 2016)
- QMHP/QMRP/QPPMH Definitions
- Therapeutic Day Treatment (TDT) and Agreements with Schools
- Waiver Redesign License Guidance (June 2016)
Guidance For Medication Administration Training
- New Provider Medication: Glucagon and Epinephrine (November 2014)
- Provider Medication Administration Training (June 2013)
- BON Approval for Diastat Staff Training (April 2014)
- Diastat Administration Training Curriculum (November 2013)
- Medication Administration via Percutaneous Gastrostomy Tube (G-Tube) AND Administration of Insulin, Glucagon, and Epinephrine (July 2013)
- Curriculum: 6-hour Training: Medication Administration via Percutaneous Gastrostomy Tube (G-Tube) (May 2013)
- Glucagon and Epinephrine Administration (November 2014)
File A Complaint (Click here to open and complete form.)
Instructions to send and attach Complaint Form as a Word document:
- (1) Click on "File".
- (2) Click on "Save & Send".
- (3) Click on "Send Using E-mail".
- (4) Click on "Send as Attachment".
- This will pull up the Complaint form as an attachment in your email. You may then type in or copy/paste "OLcomplaints@dbhds.virginia.gov".